I’ve been practicing yoga since 1975. Notice, I used the word ‘practicing’? Despite doing yoga for all of those years, I still consider myself a beginner. I only watch beginner yoga videos and keep buying beginner yoga how-to books. That’s the beauty of yoga. You work at your own pace, even if it’s beginner speed for like, forever! I don’t want to be a master yogi. I just love doing the simple yoga stretches that gets my body going, keeps me limber and just plain old feels good!
The Top Ten Health Benefits Of Yoga
1. Anyone at any age can do it. Five minutes at a time can suffice! Gentle poses at your own pace.
2. You can do yoga anytime, anywhere. All you need is a bit of floor space and you’re good to go.
3. Yoga gives you a stronger body. The Sun Saluation (demo video below) is the best, idea work out.
4. You have lots of yoga options: Hatha, Vinyasa, Hot Room….there’s even yoga for pregnant women, older adults, spiritual healing.
5. Yoga gives you greater flexibility. From college students to adults who never exercised to the elderly, there’s a yoga pose just perfect for YOU.
6. Yoga gives you better balance. Your balance, which is super important as you grow older, improves with yoga.
7. Yoga is low impact. It is very safe for most people. Check with your own doctor before you take on any exercise.
8. Yoga is less stressful and also relieves stress. Yoga is meditative and peaceful.
9. Yoga improves your eating habits. Mindfulness brings on healthier food choices.
10. Yoga brings on sound sleep. Regular practice causes your body to make more melatonin which is the hormone that controls your sleep cycle.
How Do I Start Yoga? The best place to start is to learn and master the Sun Salutation. I begin my day with this series of poses that flow into each other. Here’s a beginner video to help you on your way: