We all need to be kind to each other. We’ve all been through a lot these past few years together. Couldn’t we just give our differences a break and just relax and be kind to one another? What would it take to smile, to open a door, to say hello, tip a hat, say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’? Really?
Kindness takes heart, compassion, gentleness and a gentle-spirit. Kindness means taking someone’s needs before your own, turning a cheek when you want to fight back or keeping lips sealed when it is easy to lash out. Kindness takes love and a heart that isn’t a stranger to love.
I copied this list of 25 ways to be kind from a yoga website (click here). There are plenty of ideas and suggestions many of us can follow (gosh….at least one) to bring kindness to others in the upcoming new year. You don’t need a reason to be kind to people.
Here are 25 suggestions and ideas of ways to be kind.
1. Smile and make someone’s day a little sweeter.
2. Look for ways you can promote peace.
3. Just listen.
4. Offer a hug or embrace.
5. Invite someone new into your friend tribe.
6. Send out a kind email or card.
7. Give someone a genuine compliment.
8. Help clean up, without being asked, help someone out in a practical way.
9. Hold open the door for the person behind you.
10. Encourage a friend or family member when they are uncertain or unmotivated.
11. Make peace with someone that has hurt you.
12. Strike up a conversation with a stranger.
13. Let someone into your lane while driving.
14. Pay for the person behind you in line.
15. Give your time to a friend or someone who needs it.
16. Say Thank You and Please everyday without fail.
17. Meditate on loving kindness: “May you be happy, healthy, peaceful, and free from suffering, and may my actions in some way contribute to the happiness, health, peace, and freedom for all.
18. Say “I love you” a little more often to your family and friends.
19. Pause before you speak, and choose words with positive intention.
20. Help someone get some rest (watch their kids, run an errand, bring them dinner, etc).
21. Pick up litter you see thrown about even if its not yours.
22. Remove complaints and curses for one week.
23. Gift something meaningful to someone: loan a book, bring flowers, drop off cookies, whatever suits your fancy.
24. Make a donation.
25. Give up your seat, or for that matter, move your yoga mat in class, with positive intent.
I am dedicating myself to inspire everyone to bring kindness to the forefront. Let’s be more active in our efforts not because we have to, but because we want to. And not even because others have been kind to us but because being nice is the way of the heart.
Kindness is always a choice. The more conditioned we are to respond with kindness, the more natural it becomes. It is on purpose with purpose.
Which ways do you try to show kindness every day? Share your tips and tricks with us below!